Sep 16, 2012

A Visit from Tisha

I do realize that it has been almost a month since the last time I posted--but I think I have a pretty good reason. 

-I finished a quilt for a friend's birthday and I didn't want to blog about it because it was a surprise and I didn't want her to see it! 

-I had company for two weeks and it is hard to find time to blog when you are entertaining guests.

-I took my visiting friend on a road trip-and who wants to blog when they are on the road?

I hope these are good enough reasons for my absence. :)

My friend who came to visit is named Tisha and she lives in England. We met on an internet quilting board and fat quarters are what brought us together. I had gotten a lot of gorgeous FQs for $1.00 each and when I posted a pic and bragged about my deal, I offered to shop for anyone who wanted me to pick some up for them too. Tisha took me up on my offer and that was the beginning of our friendship. We emailed and Skyped often for several years and then decided to meet face-to-face two years ago at the Houston quilt show. After the show ended, she and a friend of hers who traveled with her, came to Georgia with me and stayed at my house for a week. Tisha came back again last year for a two week visit and this year she just couldn't stay away. Five of us had done a block swap and we decided to get together in Pennsylvania in September. Since Tisha was part of the swap, she just had to come for a trip to Amish quilt shops!

Tisha arrived on Friday evening, August 31. At 8:30 on Saturday morning we were sitting in my local quilt shop for "strip club". This was followed by shopping, lunch out, and more shopping. Sunday we went to the Braves baseball game-a first for Tisha. (The Braves won in the bottom of the 9th inning/2 outs with a 3 run homer! It was an awesome game!!) 
















Tuesday we drove to South Carolina and spent the night with Anne. Wednesday the three of us traveled from SC to northern Maryland---it was a LONG day! Thursday and Friday Tisha, Anne, Pam, Karen and I shopped in some of the Amish quilt shops in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. Thursday we were joined by Diane-a quilting friend of Karen's who lives in the area (lucky girl!!)


Here we are in front of Zook's Fabrics in Intercourse, PA


This is Burkholder's Quilt Shop. It's in the middle of Amish farm land in Denver, PA


I would imagine it is hard to see the sign if the corn is too high.

Tisha's 50th birthday was the perfect opportunity for a big celebration while we were together. Karen, Anne, Pam and I had each made 3 churn dash blocks (Tisha's favorite) and I assembled and quilted a quilt for her. She was tickled to death! 


Here is Tisha with her new quilt


Tisha wanted a picture of her friends who made her quilt.

Tisha left yesterday. I was so sad to see her go.  :(  Her visits are always so hectic and way too short.  Come back soon, Tisha!


I love this Amish farmhouse with the hot air balloon flying overhead.













There are spaces for buggies in every parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment