Jun 13, 2015

Doll Quilt Swap-Part One

I am an avid blog reader and have many that I follow. Since I only have one quilting friend who lives near me (and she's almost an hour away), blogs are great sources of inspiration for me. One of my favorites is Humble Quilts.  On April 20, Lori announced she was going to host a Doll Quilt Swap. The rules sounded simple and fun. The finished quilt was to measure no larger than 24X24", it was to be made from Civil War reproduction fabrics (love them!!), and have a label on it. Mailing deadline was May 30th. I signed up immediately and talked Pam into it too!!

My biggest challenge was deciding what to make......Nine Patch? Log Cabin? Pinwheels? I finally decided on a Scrappy Patches quilt. I had made one for myself several years ago and have it hanging in my quilt room. 


Each of the shirting blocks is cut 2X3" (finishing at 1 1/2" X 2 1/2") so this doll quilt is 11X15". I have a LARGE basket of Civil War Scraps and decided that was a great place to start. I used 126 different fabrics to make this little quilt--all of them out of my scrap basket!


Once I had all the pieces cut, I decided to sew them up on my Featherweight. 


Let the chain piecing begin! The top went together quickly.


Here you can see the quilting better. I added little triangles in the corners in case she wanted to hang it that way. I didn't include the label in this photo because it has personal info on it that I didn't want to show on my blog.


Here is the finished top. I put it in the mail the day I finished it and away it went-across the pond to England.

Yesterday I got an email from Frances. Her mini quilt arrived and she blogged about it on her blog called Fabadashery. I'm so tickled she is pleased!!

Lori is going to have a linky party on Monday for everyone to link their blog post with their doll quilt. I'm posting about the precious quilt I received tomorrow. I will include a link to Lori's blog post on Monday with Linky party info.

Happy Quilting! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish I hadn't missed this swap! Your quilt is beautiful. I loved it on Frances' blog. Great variety of fabrics, and a nice touch that it was sewn on your Featherweight. Frances' post is what led me to find your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you made it on your featherweight. It is great that these quilts only take scraps of fabric for suck beautiful and quick results.

    ReplyDelete